Saturday, February 12, 2011

Reeling In The Years: 1993

by James Glazebrook

1993 was my first full year as a teenager, and this chronological playlist soundtracks my coming of age. Looking back, the first half of '93 seems like a six-month summer, when I lay on my bed listening to all the music I could get hold of, with endless enthusiasm and without prejudice. Guided by the charts, cover-mounted compilations and my local library's tape collection, I liked what I liked - even if it was produced by a one-hit wonder (Feed The Tree), even if there were
better songs on the album (Creep), even if it was (whisper it) popular (Are You Gonna Go My Way). By the end of the year, all my rules had changed. I had heard the ambiguous leftfield pop of Depeche Mode and Björk, and my tastes had pushed out into the extremes, both lyrical and musical. Record covers got darker, as did their contents, and steadily my stereo's output descended into the obscure (Triad) and the downright obscene (Method Man). In hindsight, I learned a lot in these 12 short months, even if I have learned a more important lesson since then: how to love pop again.

Belly - Feed The Tree
Radiohead - Creep
The Cranberries - Dreams
Lenny Kravitz - Are You Gonna Go My Way
Depeche Mode - I Feel You
Björk & David Arnold - Play Dead
Cypress Hill - Cock The Hammer
Nirvana - Rape Me
Wu-Tang Clan - Method Man
Pitchshifter - Triad


Spotify playlist

Master list

No comments: