Sunday, November 15, 2009

Noughties By Nature #60: The Avalanches - Frontier Psychiatrist

Cut-and-paste is a dubious technique, missing more often than it hits, but when it works it’s wondrous. The Avalanches’ debut album provided a seemingly-effortless masterclass in superior sampling, with ‘Frontier Psychiatrist’ as a deservedly acclaimed star turn. The dustbin of vinyl and B-movie history gets comprehensively upended in search of quality cast-offs, before these scraps are stitched together into a kaleidoscopic collage underlined with an imperious blast of brass that carries all before it like the flags of a conquering army.
Rhian Jones

[Spotify]
[YouTube]
[Album: Since I Left You]

3 comments:

Mistress Wanda said...

I love this tune and in fact the whole album. Whatever happened to these guys?

Chris Brown said...

I saw a comment somewhere (Last.FM I think) which referred to the second Avalanches album as "the Chinese Democracy of good music". It's supposedly been on the way for ages.

I thought I might write about this one myself. It's probably as well that I didn't though.

Unknown said...

Saw theses guys at a festival in 2001 and they were amazing. Still think of it now really.