Friday, November 27, 2009

Noughties By Nature #106: Town Bike - Ride Of Ya Life

I guess now, everyone has their myspace story. Arctic Monkeys, Lily Allen, Kate Nash BLAH BLAH BLAH. Yes, I first heard Nash on myspace and I fell in love a bit, but when I first heard Town Bike and their only song, Ride Of Ya Life, on Myspace, I fell in love a lot.

You know how every band’s first album is so much better than their second? They reckon it’s cos you’ve got a lifetime to write that first album, and a six-week bubble inbetween touring and cocaine and models and fame and fortune and big coats and Top Of The Pops to write the second LP. The Clash, Elastica, Definitely Maybe, The Stone Roses... anyway, the point is, is that this is one of those first album songs, about being in a band, and learning to play and everything is so fresh and exciting.

There are some wonderful self-deprecating lines about the band’s supposed inability to sing / play / write lyrics, and yet they can do all three ever so naively well, after all, this is gonna be the ‘Ride of your life, Town bike’. It’s a fun fresh burst of punk pop youth and vigour, synth lines and handclaps. As Lammo said when he played them on his show recently, ‘it’s the kind of record that I think John Peel would have played’: I can’t say it any better than that.
Jamie Woods, Super Kawaii POP!

No comments: