Friday, November 06, 2009

Noughties By Nature #22: Kate Nash - Foundations

Some songs have a structure and style that instantly defines them as ‘classics’. No doubt many end of decade lists will feature songs by The Strokes, Arctic Monkeys, White Strips, Arcade Fire etc. All the kinds of songs that journalists wet themselves over and will discuss in future years in Q/Uncut/Mojo type publications. It’s pretty damn likely that Foundations by Kate Nash will not be considered by many as such a classic. If you do, let me come round and make love to you, for we have a massive connection.

So why choose Foundations? Well, from the moment Nash kicked and skipped out of Myspace it was love at first listen for this writer. From the early gigs where we first met her before she signed a major label, to the day she sent me a message saying "OMG I’m number 2 in the mid-weeks," I felt an unexplainable bond with the music of Kate Nash that I haven’t felt before or since. "You said I must eat so many lemons ‘cause I am so bitter, I said I’d rather be with your friends mate ‘cause they are much fitter," is one of the funniest, cleverest, cockiest and most memorable lyrics we have ever heard. No argument. Yes of course the My Fair Lady gawd blimey LDN accent may have irritated the pants off many, but Foundations was an edgy, poignant and brilliantly constructed pop song that stood out like a sore thumb in a chart full of R‘n’B footballers wives tosh.
Robin Seamer

[Spotify]
[YouTube]
[Album: Made Of Bricks]

No comments: