Tuesday, June 02, 2009

The Music That Made... David Cronenberg's Wife

David Cronenberg's Wife are the darkest of the dark humoured types. Macabre to a fault, unerring to a rare degree, like Cave via Richman, they've just released The Fight Song EP, a follow-up to last year's undervalued Bluebeard's Rooms. Singer/guitarist Tom Mayne tells us "I'm not very good at these things". Well, we'll see.

First single bought: What's a single?
First album bought: Nevermind. I mean, the Nirvana album, not 'it doesn't matter'. Though I think I asked my mum to buy it me as I didn't go out much.
First gig voluntarily attended: Nick Cave, Brixton with Simon Breed in support. I went with Graeme and George.
The record that most made you want to get into music: Never mind. I mean, 'it doesn't matter', not the Nirvana album.
The three headliners at a festival you were curating: When was this? You mean a fantasy one? Let's have L. Cohen (1967), The Birthday Party (1980), J. Richman (any year). Or failing that Thee Intolerable Kidd, Paul Hawkins and Mathew Sawyer.
A song not enough people know about but everyone should hear: Swans - Love Will Save You
A song you'd play to get people dancing: No-one dances in London apart from Selene.
The last great thing you heard: Dylan - Mississippi (Telltale Signs version)
Your key non-musical influences: Chekhov
Your favourite new artist: Charlotte Roche

No comments: