Sunday, February 14, 2010

The Music That Made... Allo Darlin'

Elizabeth Morris and band featured early and readily in our Class Of 2010; she's doing some dates with The School in March before popping over to SXSW. Before that, Elizabeth got down to some answering:

First single bought: Hmm, I really can’t remember. I had two older sisters and what they listened to I did generally. It definitely would have been a cassingle. I didn’t really have any money of my own to buy anything until I was a teenager. The first tape I remember asking for was Black Or White by Michael Jackson, and I must have been 7 or 8 then. I remember wearing out my older sister’s Mel and Kim cassingle a lot earlier than that though.
First gig voluntarily attended: I grew up in a small country town in Queensland, Australia, and we didn’t get people coming to play there very often. More country singers than anything else, and bad ones at that. I do remember that Silverchair (Nirvana in Pajamas), Jebediah and some other band rolled into town on a triple bill when I was 14 or so and did an all ages show. I went to that.
The record that most made you want to get into music: This is a difficult question. I suppose the only way I can answer it is to say that all of my childhood memories are associated with music. It was always something I loved and it was always a big part of our family. There wasn’t much else to do so songs were a way of connecting with things. And it was good music too – a lot of 50s and 60s and 70s golden pop stuff. Like the Beach Boys and Buddy Holly and things. I’ve always been into music. I can’t imagine not being into it, you know?
The three headliners at a festival you were curating: Is this an ATP question? And I guess it would have to be living artists, right?? We’d have to put both Lou Reed and Jonathan Richman on there, and Jonathan would hopefully play Velvet Underground. And Paul Simon! That would be amazing!
A song not enough people know about but everyone should hear: I Got Loaded by Lil Bob and the Lollipops.
A song you'd play to get people dancing: I think Secret by Half Japanese would be one of my favourite dancing songs. But Uptown Girl by Billy Joel is a great one for getting the crowd going at our disco Music for Girls.
The last great thing you heard: Emma from Standard Fare gave me their latest single the other day in Manchester. I think that’s great and that they’re great too.
Your key non-musical influences: Love of course. It’s the only answer I can give.
Your favourite new artist: Standard Fare!

No comments: