So what we did was source a list of the 500, plug them all into Spotify and create a playlist. And we did well, 432 in total (we think), the omissions either fairly obviously not widely available - Huggy Bear, Cobra Killer, J. Walter Negro, Revolting Cocks, chrissake, Campag Velocet - or so unusual omissions that they're actively notable - pre-1983 Madness, Mercury Rev, Funkadelic, Don Henley, even Oasis*. Here's the link via Share My Playlists.
* The sum total of currently Spotified Oasis, presumably as they haven't negotiated with Big Brother as yet, being She's Electric on a Top Gear compilation and, marvellously, Wibbling Rivalry, the celebrated recording (which reached number 52!) of a Noel and Liam argument during an April 1994 NME interview conducted by John Harris. "You can stick your thousand pounds right up yer arse til it comes out yer fuckin' big toe!"
And while we have this resource open and available, and on the back of our being a quarter of the way through the year, here's eight of our favourite albums of 2009 released to date and available to stream:
- Andrew Bird - Noble Beast
- Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion
- Grammatics – Grammatics
- Joe Gideon And The Shark - Harum Scarum
- Micachu & The Shapes - Jewellery
- The Phantom Band - Checkmate Savage
- Sky Larkin - The Golden Spike
- Telepathe - Dance Mother