Thursday, May 12, 2005

An album of albums

Surely I'm not alone in, when in a major record store that doesn't have instore radio, trying to find out what they're playing and then sticking around for want of anything better to do if the next track or two is any good? Today, for instance, I was in HMV for lack of better options (you may spot a theme developing here) and came in on the Jam's Down In The Tube Station At Midnight playing. A process of elimination and guesswork drew me to The Best Album Tracks... Ever!, which I consequently checked out the tracklisting of and decided there and then to just wander about the store looking inconspicuous to Sweet Gene Vincent and Night Boat To Cairo - two songs I own on albums, by the way, so I can listen to them any time I choose to. Such is the way my brain works.

Coincidentally, I was going to mention this compilation on here anyway just for its sheer incongruity in the Various Artists market. Firstly, what's the criteria - best tracks, best albums, what? If it's the best albums picked, why pick those specific tracks, or in many artist's cases that album? Well, obviousness, largely, looking at it, but then great albums aren't solely great on the back of one track. And then you have to sequence the thing. Look at disc 3! Who's going to put that on all the way through by choice? OK, apart from Mark Radcliffe?

No comments: